Monday, May 14, 2012

More progress!

I've been working on the boat so furiously that I haven't updated in like a week!  Sorry! 

Last weekend, I got out the trusty-dusty power sander and sanded the crap out of the bottom of the hull, preparing it for fiberglassing.  Tux the Cat does NOT like the sound of the sander.

I rounded the edges of the bottom with the hand plane, then sanded them rounder with the power sander.
I happened to have a good-sized roll of medium-weight fiberglass cloth from a previous project.  It's 5 feet (~1.5m) wide and as long as I need it to be.so I cut two 4 foot long pieces and have a decent overlap in the middle of the bottom.
Above you can see where the glass cloth just falls around the curve at the bottom edge of the bow transom.  Without the curve in the wood, the glass cloth would NOT go smoothly, and that leaves you with all kinds of air bubbles and ugliness where you asked the cloth to curve around a sharp angle.
Aaaand THIS is what the Bullduck looked like with the glassing finished on the bottom and front transom.  Purty!  With the West System epoxy (actually made for real boats, so it's fully waterproof) and the Fast hardener, it takes a few hours before you can sit on it :)   So I left it to dry and went to find a diet coke.  Keys to good smooth job: Don't skimp on the epoxy, get rid of all the airbubbles you can see, and don't let the wife catch you ont he back porch sans dropcloth! 

Even with both ceiling fans going, it was hot work in the Georgia heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment